Injuries Common to Public Employees
Some employees in the public sector are at higher risk of injury than others. Police officers, firefighters and correction officers have inherently more dangerous jobs; but park rangers, postal workers, and sanitation workers also have risks associated with their professions and suffer injuries at a rate higher than average.
Depending on the job, public employees in Bustleton and South Philadelphia can experience injuries such as:
- Head injuries and lacerations from violent assault
- Gunshot wounds
- Broken bones from falls
- Sprains and strains from overexertion
- Exposure to toxic chemicals such as lead and asbestos can lead to occupational illnesses
- High levels of stress that result in conditions like PTSD
- Crushing injuries from motor vehicle accidents
- Dog bites
Those public employees working in more traditional office environments are still subject to a range of work injuries that include slip and falls, repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome, and respiratory diseases.
Several occupations have federal acts that cover their Workers’ Compensation benefits including:
- Seamen who are covered by the Jones Act
- Longshoremen, dockworkers, and others working on a marina are provided for by the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act
- Railroad workers and others working in interstate transportation have access to the Federal Employer’s Liability Act
- Employees working on U.S. defense bases or public works projects outside the country are covered by the Defense Base Act
The range of benefit programs available to injured public employees is vastly different from the standard Workers’ Compensation claims. To avoid any delay in receiving your benefits it is highly advisable to seek the counsel of a public employee workers’ compensation attorney experienced in dealing with these specialized programs in Bustleton, South Philly, and across Philadelphia.
A Philadelphia Public Employees Workers' Compensation Attorney is Here to Help
If you are a public employee seeking compensation for injuries sustained at work, the skilled Philadelphia public employee workers’ compensation lawyers of Gross & Kenny, LLP can help. We will make sure you receive all the benefits you are entitled to under federal, state, or local regulations and advocate on your behalf so that you can concentrate on your recovery. Call today to schedule your free initial consultation in our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office. We serve injured public employees throughout the surrounding areas of Bustleton and South Philadelphia.